Richmond Free Library Trustee’s
Minutes – November 4, 2016
Present: Ellen Crary, Laurie Dana, Kristen Hayden-West, Cammy Richelli, Rebecca Mueller
Absent: Keith Franz
Kristen called the meeting to order.
Minutes of September Meeting
The Board approved the minutes of the September meeting unanimously.
Kristen presented the information that Keith had prepared. The status of the budget at the end of the first quarter was right on target. The Capital Reserve fund as of 9/30/16 was $35,141.
Library Director’s Report
- Jennifer Esser has been hired to fill the position vacated by Sarah and she will work 20 hours/week now, which will rise to 25 hours/week. Vicki Zimmer has been hired as an “on-call sub” primarily to cover Douglas’ month away. She can fill in at other times.
- The new front steps are completed and the Trustees agreed they look great and feel much safer.
- Wendy has started a new “Baby Lap Time” program for parents and children (newborn-6 months of age).
- The public is invited to decorate mittens that will be used as garland in the library during the holiday season.
- Connie provided Rebecca with a few updates to her proposed budget related to insurance coverage for Wendy when she becomes eligible. Geoff and the Selectboard have not asked for additional changes to the proposed budget.
Report on the Budget Meeting with the Selectboard
Kristen, Keith and Cammi met with the Selectboard to present and discuss the library budget. Kristen reported that she felt that the meeting went well and that the Selectboard understands the issues that the Trustees brought forward, in addition to the budget.
The following were some points made:
- There is confusion about who is responsible for the “infrastructure” upkeep of the Library building. This needs to be clarified for the future in a written policy.
- The Selectboard asked about the step replacement project—which would technically be infrastructure—and understood that this was a safety issue that couldn’t wait for further clarification.
- There is a need to survey the infrastructure and maintenance needs of all of the town-owned buildings
- Keith feels that, in light of this discussion, the library should ask that the reserve be funded at $8,000 which should cover the basic replacement, upgrade and repair costs for the interior spaces of the building.
- Rebecca made the observation that the Library is technically funding this reserve through the Community Room Fees that come to the Town.
Trustees Next Steps:
The trustees agreed to the following next steps:
- Rebecca will ask Geoff for an update on the building survey to report to the Trustees at their January meeting
- The budget can be submitted without an additional vote as it is unchanged. Rebecca will “alert” the Trustees should any further changes be requested.
The Library’s page of the Town Report for the FY 2016 year will be due before the next Trustee’s meeting. Rebecca will do a draft and circulate for comment. Kristen recommended including some of the information on the roof repair recommendations, etc.
The Trustees will not have a table at this year’s Holiday Fair.
The Richmond Conservation Fund is still open to the idea of the Library applying for funds for the roof repair. This was discussed as a joint application with the Town of Richmond, or a Trustees application with the Selectboard’s support (depending on the “rules). Kristen will talk with Jennifer about having her helpi write a Conservation Fund proposal. Jennifer brings some grant writing experience to the Library staff. Laurie offered to help as needed.
Rebecca presented a draft of the Annual Fundraising Appeal letter. Trustees really liked the tone and feeling of the letter. There were a few suggestions made and Rebecca will finalize the letter and work on getting it out.
Cammi will be stepping down at the end of March so there will be a Library Trustee opening. A notice will be posted on Front Porch Forum about the opening. Other Trustees offered to meet with anyone interested in running if they would like to learn more. As part of this discussion, Trustees discussed adding a Youth Advisor to the Trustees and would like to explore how this might work.
Next Meeting: The next meeting of the Richmond Free Library Trustees will be Thursday, January 5, 2017.
Reminder: The new meeting schedule for the Richmond Free Library Trustees is the 1st Thursdays of the month in January, March, April, June, September & November.
Respectfully submitted, Laurie
November 7, 2016
Laurie Dana, Secretary