2016 May Minutes

Richmond Free Library Trustee’s

Minutes – May 5, 2016

 Present: Ellen Crary, Laurie Dana, Keith Franz, Kristen Hayden-West, Cammy Richelli, Rebecca Mueller

Welcome

Cammy called the meeting to order.

 

Minutes of March Meeting

The Board approved the minutes of the March meeting unanimously.

Library Director’s Report

  • Rebecca reported that the Vermont Reads events on the Shackelton exhibition was extremely successful with 65 attending the film, 40 for the talk and 40 for the travelogue.
  • The office shift is in progress, this will move the office from the corner into the current computer room and all of the public technology resources into the corner room. The fax line has been installed in the corner office, so that will move out of the check out area.  A cable connection will be moved to the new office and the expanded DSL line will be installed in the public area. Rebecca is exploring putting “bandwidth quotas” on the public line so that no each individual public user will have a bandwidth limit.
  • Summer programs are now in place. Due to new rules, people who are being paid to provide summer programming will need to sign a Workman’s Comp waiver form.
  • Rebecca reported that the boiler tank in the basement is apparently leaking and she has calls in to a couple of contractors to evaluate and repair as needed.
  • There was a report of inappropriate behavior between a couple of teenaged patrons in the mezzanine area. This was called in by the parent of another young patron who witnessed the behavior.  Staff will be instituting methods to have a more consistent physical presence in that space and more frequent checks when staff is not present in the space.
  • Rebecca also reported that the most recent elevator inspection was conditional, as the battery in the emergency phone had died. She will purchase a new battery.

Treasurer’s Report

Keith reviewed the most recent Year-to-date financial report (for the end of April)—which represents 83% of the year completed.  While there are a couple of line items that are over budget he cautioned that there are a few May bills reflected in this report.  Water and sewer has been over budget all year, which has been addressed in next year’s budget, however the overall budget is in line with expectations.

Keith also reported that there was $30,186 in the capital reserve at the start of the year with another $8,000 being added in June 2016.  Currently we have spent $4,340—most of that was for refinishing the community room floor.  The reserve is healthy and there will be another $16,000 paid into that account in June 2017.

There was some discussion about library revenue, which is higher than budgeted.  This is due to fees from increased community room usage.  Kristen asked what types of events generate income for the room and Rebecca mentioned music recitals, birthday parties, weddings, and dance classes as uses that are outside of normal library or community events that are not charged or are charged minimal fees.

Rebecca also feels that there should be a way to set aside some of the community room fees to offset the cost of piano maintenance.  The piano is a big reason that the room is used for music recitals and events. At present, this is around $125 for each tuning, which is currently being done 3-4 times per year.  There is also no fund set aside should the piano require more extensive maintenance in the future.  Keith felt that this could be discussed with the auditor to determine the best way to set money aside.

 

July 4 Water & Book Sale

The trustees again decided to do a water and book sale during the July 4th festivities.  Keith will purchase water, Kristen will arrange for the tent, Laurie will bring water buckets & cash, and Ellen will provide wagons so that water could be sold across the street or along the street before the parade.

 

 

Summer Building Projects

Several building projects were discussed and prioritized by the Trustees, they include:

  • Removal of old concrete steps and installation of new ones. This project was going to be “rolled into” some other town work but that will not be happening.  We need to go ahead and arrange for this as the “top priority.”
  • Go ahead with repositioning and repainting the RFL sign, moving it away from the building and turning it so it is perpendicular to the road. SignDesign was recommended as a possible contractor by a couple of Trustees.  Rebecca will also speak with the Zoning Administrator to see if we need an updated zoning approval (there is one currently on file).
  • Rebecca would like to have an air quality test done in the basement to check for mold spores. The area is damp most of the time, even with a dehumidifier running.  She believes the cost is about $600.
  • Recarpeting of the 2nd floor will be discussed for after this year’s Holiday Market.
  • Exterior painting and trim & fascia board replacement will be discussed as part of Summer 2017 work.

 

Selectboard Liaison

 

Rebecca mentioned that the new Library Liaison from the Selectboard is Steve May.  He dropped by the library recently to talk with Rebecca.  She will recap their discussion in an email and copy David Sander who is the new Chair of the Selectboard.  The Trustees want to make sure and continue discussions and clarify lines of authority around the building maintenance issues.

 

Open Meeting Law

Laurie reviewed the requirements of the open meeting law as it applies to the Library Trustees based on recommendations from the Vermont Dept. of Libraries and FAQ from the Vermont League of Cities and Towns.

 

Trustee Meeting Schedule:

Based on discussions from the March meeting about moving to 6 meetings per year (the minimum required by our By-Laws), and the requirements of the Open Meeting Law regarding meeting schedules and warnings, Trustees voted to review their standing meeting schedule.

 

The Trustees unanimously approved meeting the 1st Thursdays of the month in January, March, April, June, September & November.  Laurie will communicate this new meeting schedule to Linda Parent for inclusion on the town website.

 

June Performance Review

The Trustees will conduct a performance review of the Library Director during their June meeting.  In preparation, Rebecca will prepare a review of her accomplishments during the past year.  As Board Chair, Kristen will review, add any additional thoughts and forward to the Trustees prior to the June meeting.

 

Next Meeting: The next meeting of the Richmond Free Library Trustees will be Thursday, June 2, 2016, Kristen will facilitate.

Agenda Items:

  • Finalize plans for July 4 water & book sale.
  • Review of status of Summer Building projects.
  • Performance review of Library Director (in Executive Session).

 

Respectfully submitted,                                                                                                                                                                                   Laurie

May 8, 2016

Laurie Dana, Secretary

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s