2014 October Minutes

Richmond Free Library Trustee’s

Minutes – October 2, 2014

Present: Laurie Dana, Keith Franz, Kristen Hayden-West, Cammy Richelli, Karen Tufano and Rebecca Mueller

Minutes of Aug. 28 Meeting

The Board approved the Minutes from the previous meeting unanimously.

2016 Budget Review

Rebecca presented the 2016 budget that she drafted for the Selectboard. Keith presented a spreadsheet to help the discussion, which compared costs for 2012, 2013 & 2014 plus the 2015 costs to date. After some discussion, the line item for Office Supplies was increased to $2,075, the line item for heat was dropped to $3,000 and the line item for electricity was increased to $5,500. It was recommended that the budget category called “Books” be updated to “Books & Media” as more than books are purchased from these funds. Keith moved to approve the 2016 budget request as amended and the motion passed unanimously. The Trustees also reviewed Rebecca’s attachment, which supports the request for adding $16,000 to the capital reserve in 2016. Some recommendations for additions were made and Rebecca & Cammy will revise.

 

Library Director’s Report:

 

  1. Tree Removal
    Rebecca reported that the forester who was to look at the 2 maple trees did not come. The Trustees still believe that removing the trees is important for the maintenance of the building. We will hold the required public forum about removing the trees on Thursday, Nov. 6 from 6-6:30 p.m. (prior to the Trustees meeting). Rebecca will put it into the Times Ink! and post it on Front Porch Forum.
  1. Roof Repair Project
    The purchase order for the roof slate repair by Headwaters has been submitted. This work will take place in October.

 

  1. Mezzanine Construction
    The variance for the mezzanine reconstruction project was approved. The contractor will be doing a new draft of plans to be submitted to apply for the permit. Rebecca, Kristen and Karen will look at carpet & lighting choices and Karen & Rebecca will review the new plans.

 

  1. Window Painting Project
    The purchase order for the painting of the window has been submitted but has not been approved yet.

 

 

Holiday Market
Rebecca will ask about having a library table upstairs at the Holiday Market with a goal of picking out some good books and having a book sale. We will also sell library bags. Karen will offer an opportunity to Friends volunteers to staff the table and Trustees will fill in if needed.

 

Friends of the Richmond Library report

Karen reported that the Friends’ effort to recruit new volunteers has been successful and that they discussed possibilities of having a fall fundraiser of some type in addition to the Book Sale. This year’s Book Sale will be held February 14. They will be meeting again in early December.

 

Library Café

There was some discussion about whether the Library wanted to provide coffee for patrons, now that On The Rise is no longer available for free wifi. Other local libraries do this. Rebecca reported that they do not have an enforced policy of no beverages or food so some patrons do bring coffee in and up to this point it has not been a problem. She will check with Brownell, who does offer coffee – for a donation – and see what their experience is. Trustees felt that they didn’t want to add responsibilities for making coffee and cleaning up to the staff responsibilities.

Department of Libraries – IMPACT/EDGE survey

Rebecca reported that the Vermont Dept. of Libraries has asked libraries to participate in this survey project. Patrons would be surveyed about how they use library technology when they log into the library’s system. This would provide useful data on numbers of patrons using the library for job applications, taxes, communicating with family, etc. There is no cost to participate and we would get RFL specific data in addition to aggregate statewide data. Trustees supported the idea and Rebecca will get more details.

Computers

Rebecca is ordering two new computers for the library and she had the specs from the vendor. The cost would be about $400 each.

The meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.

Agenda items for the November 6 meeting include:

  • Tree removal – next steps
  • Holiday market report
  • Construction project update
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s